Saturday, September 25, 2010

A project

Hello all!
It's hard to believe that I've only been here just over 2 weeks.  I feel like I've experienced so much that A LOT more time should have passed!  Its been good.  The days are very full and I have yet to be sitting around with nothing to do. 
Sister Martha Joan is back from her retreat.  She is in charge of the volunteers and it's great to have her at the helm.  We were all a little directionless, but she quickly solved that problem.  She's from Poland originally, and she's a nurse.  She's a real organizer and she's trying to get things more streamlined in the clinic and with the patients.  I've been helping a bit. I went through the clinic supplies the other day and separated all the outdated medications and got to see a lot of what kinds of supplies exist.  They have some really good wound dressings and stuff, but no one knows how to use them, so they sit unused.  They also have a whole bunch of medication from other countries that no one knows what they are.  The creams were especially bad.  I took down the names and spent some time with Google.  I'm not sure why they are so well stocked in hemerhoid cream, or sun tan lotion, but I made sure to label them well and instruct the workers NOT to use them for wound care!
Sister Martha Joan has also charged me with orienting two new nurses that they hired. They are two orphaned boys who grew up with the sisters. The sisters paid their way through nursing school and in exchange, they are to work for them for 6 months.  The sisters are hopeful to hire them after that.  It's been interesting to say the least.  They are very eager, and willing to learn.  But their education is VERY lacking! They told me that they didn't have any textbooks in school because they were too expensive.  Their instruction was all in the classroom as well, no hands on experience at all.  So, orientation is more like teaching.  I'm grateful for the job, and I'm excited to help them become great nurses.  Since I'll be here for a while yet, I think it will be good to mentor them and be able to support them through this learning time and leave them here to continue to do great work after I leave.  The job is huge though. I can't imagine being a new grad, with no practical experience, stepping onto a ward of 250 + patients, no senior staff as resource and a physician that comes twice a week for a couple of hours. 
Tomorrow is a big festival here.  It's Maskal.  It's comemorating St. Helena finding the true cross.  I guess there's a big fire downtown and everyone goes and there are speakers and bands and stuff.  One of the workers (his name is Hilou) is going to take us to check it out.  Should be fun!
The good news is that we had two days without rain.  I can't say that it's warm here, its still only ever between 15 and 20 degrees.  The sun did make a brief appearance which was nice, but short lived.  At least my laundry is dry though!
I've been trying to upload pictures, but it hasn't been letting me.  I'll keep trying.  Keep in touch!

3 comments:

  1. Kerry, this is very cool! This opportunity for you to mentor 2 people as to how to nurse... wow, I think you'll be great at that. praise the Lord for putting you in such a place where he can use every bit of your giftedness. We're praying for you and I miss you!
    love - Catherine [Peter, Lucia and Philip van Kampen]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry!

    I am checking your blog religiously! Your blogs are so refreshing and check of reality for me. I am praying for you!

    Amy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kerry, I've been following your blog and meaning to comment. Sounds like you're off to a good start and I'm looking forward to following your missions. I've been praying for you and bragging about my missionary nurse friend to any seminarian who'll listen.

    A quick story about going through customs with a collar: The officer takes a good look at me and says (smiling) "Let me guess, you're going to school to be an auto mechanic." Then tells me about a friend who went to seminary ("He didn't last two months!") and asks me to pray for him ("cause I really need it"). Blessings on your work.

    Deacon Matt

    ReplyDelete