Friday, September 10, 2010

I've landed!

Following a VERY long journey, I have landed in Addis Ababa Ethiopia.  Things have gone well so far and I was able to spend a day resting at a guest house here.  It was great to get some sleep and begin to settle into this journey that I've embarked on.
I have to say that thus far, it has been harder than I expected.  It's challenging traveling alone as you have to be on guard 100% of the time, and there's no one to bounce ideas off of.  Thus far however, I've been navigating things relatively well..... I think.
I found the Missionaries of Charity compound this morning.  I was shown the volunteer quarters and was set to work right away.  I was able to help with a few dressings. It was nice to get into it right away.  The compound is quite small for all that goes on there.  There are several volunteers here as well, which I wasn't expecting.  Sr. Seraphim introduced me to a girl named Leah from California.  She told us that we will be traveling to Dire Dawa on Monday as they need more help there. 
When I began this, I said I was going to expect the unexpected. Dire Dawa was definitely not in my expectations, but hey, what the heck?!  I'm grateful to have an english speaking travel companion at least! I'm not sure how we're getting there, I still have to get more details from Sister.  You kinda just have to have a 'go with the flow' attitude, so I"m doing my best. I'm excited to see what Dire Dawa is like, and the home the sisters have there. I'm sure the experience will be equally as valuable.  Currently there are 8 of us sharing a VERY small room.  It's kind of dark and with the rains, very musty.  We share a bathroom, but the toilet doesn't flush, so you have to pour water down it.  The shower is in another area and I guess, the hot water is sketch.  Not sure if it will be any different in Dire Dawa, but I guess, we'll find out on Monday. I've heard its warmer, which wouldn't be bad as I've been freezing here.  It rains every afternoon and it's been really hazy and cool.  The bus ride is 11 hours according to the Lonely Planet, so here's to hoping my stomach holds out!
The city us a buz with preparations. Ethiopian New Year is tomorrow and there are people buying goats and roosters to cook for the feast.  There are many reminders of India, but it has a flavor all of its own as well.
The traffic is more orderly. WAY less honking.  The use of signal lights and lanes are routine.  They drive on the same side of the road as us, which I was surprised by.  The people are very friendly and I have been surprised by how well most people speak English.  There are NO street vendors.  There are lots of little shops, but no sidewalk garage sales or food stands.  You can actually walk on the sidewalks!
So, the long and short of it. My first impressions of Ethiopia:
Not exactly what I was expecting, but not totally outside of my imagination.  Looking forward to taking more time to adjust and maybe settle in Dire Dawa. Grateful for a North American travel companion.  Keep praying please, and I"ll keep you posted as I can.
Salam!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, Leah! I know her! ... Just kidding :)
    Good to knwo there are other church going holy souls from Calfornia.

    ReplyDelete