Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to the rest of the world!  We celebrated the new year here in September, and it was 2003.  So, no grand celebrations will occur here Jan.1.  But, I will be thinking of all the craziness that is occurring throughout the rest of the world during this time.

Things here in Addis remain interesting. Just when I think that I've grown accustomed to life here, something strange happens and I'm reminded that I will always be a foreigner. The weather has changed dramatically in the past week.  It's been quite cool, and today it rained all day.  Last night there was a HUGE rain storm. It was difficult to sleep as the rain was hitting the metal roof of my building, it was so loud! 

My clinical skills continue to be challenged at work. The doctor has stopped coming regularly, and when he does come, it's for a very short amount of time.  It's very challenging to work without the support of a doctor.  He is demanding more money from the sisters, and it's a problem.  Personally, I wasn't a big fan of his work anyway, but not having ANY physician is very difficult.  The sisters are in a difficult position. It's hard to recruit doctors to a poorly paid, part time position.  They are reluctant to give the current doctor more money because of his performance, but at the same time, know that it will be difficult to replace him.  We'll see what happens. In the meantime, I've been spending more time on the internet researching diseases and looking up things in this old formulary that was donated to the sisters, so that I know the dosages and appropriate medications for diseases I've only read about in textbooks.  Who would have thought there could be so many parasites?!

I've grown attached to several of my patients, but two in particular that I make sure to visit every day.  Aragow, who I spoke of in a previous post (he has cancer) is still with us.  He continues to struggle with pain control, and we are doing the best we can.  Management of his pain has improved, and along with prayer, he has become more peaceful.  Every morning I go to the kitchen and try to snag some of his favorite food. Today, he even gave me a thumbs up sign.  I wonder how long he will be with us, suffering as he is.  It's difficult to watch, but I have to believe there is a greater purpose beyond my comprehension.  My other very special patient is in the same room as Aragow.  He is a little old man who greets me with a smile every morning and kisses my hand. He calls out 'my daughter' (in Amharic) when he sees me, and it's very cute. He has the most high pitched voice ever, and he is always asking for bread. It's the only thing he eats.  Bread and tea.  I don't know how long one can live on bread and tea, but he is happy and it's a joy to love and serve him every day.
 
What will 2011 bring?! I can only imagine.  I have been thinking about how much my life has changed in the past year, and I feel so blessed! So much of what has happened has been unplanned, but has brought me to a place of joy and peace. I can't help but thank God for His wisdom and guidance. Last year at this time, I was planning my second visit to Kolkata, India.  It was during my time there that I decided to pursue full time mission work.  I felt like my life in Saskatoon was very empty and directionless.  I had everything that I needed, and WAY more, but I was still restless.  I was always searching for something more.  Thinking that there had to be more to life.

This year, as I sit in an internet cafe in the middle of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, I couldn't feel more fulfilled.  I am working with the poor, doing some really cool nursing things.  Mostly though, I am getting the opportunity to touch lives and serve in a very special way.  I don't own many things, but I definitely have everything that I need, and much more than most.  God has blessed me with so much. I feel like things in my life are finally coming together.  I felt for so long that my life was on hold.  Maybe God was waiting for me to finally give up control and let Him guide me.  Looking back now, I know that during that time, He was preparing me for the work I am now able to do, and preparing my heart to receive all that He has planned for me. 

So what is my plan for 2011?  On a professional note, I plan to stay here.  I have been offered a position working with a small NGO here.  They work with unwed mothers.  They offer shelter, skill training, education and child care for women who are pregnant.  It is very shameful for women who are not married to become pregnant here.  There are no day cares, and often family support is lacking due to social stigmas.  Unfortunately these young women are left to believe that abortion or adoption are their only options.  So many of them want to keep their babies, but they don't have the resources to do so.  By offering them a way to support their families and live independently, this organization helps them to become self-sufficient.  I'm really excited about the work that they do.  Currently, they don't have a nurse on staff, which means I get to design my own program.  It's a big job, but the potential to do great things is there, and that's what is exciting to me. I'm working on changing my visa right now. If all goes well, that would allow me to stay in the country for 2 years which would be nice.  

On a personal note, I'm excited to share that I have met someone very special.  His name is Hailu (pronounced Hi Loo), and he works with the Missionaries of Charity as a social worker.  We've been getting to know each other for a little while now, and I'm excited to see what the new year brings for us. It wasn't exactly in my plan to meet someone so quickly on my journey, but as I'm learning, some of the best things in life happen when you don't plan.
   
That's all for now.  My last post of 2010 is sent with WARM ('cause I know that even if it's cool here, it's COLD back home!!) wishes for a very Happy New Year and MANY blessings in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment